Sunday, June 03, 2007

Hot & houses


The warm spell continues - cats have flopped, and if I didn't look stupid lying down on the middle of the dining room floor, I would too. It has been somewhere in the mid 20s but slightly humid so feels about 30. The bunkle doesn't stay particularly cool either.

Speaking of the bunkle (as I usually do), spent today doing the Heritage Vancouver annual house tour. Love going through houses and see how people have handled the challenges old houses bring. There was also an old commercial building on the tour that has been renovated into condos. Good to see the buildings are being maintained, but it confirmed my suspicion I just am not that...moderne. One bachelor condo (priced at $360K - and remember, this is right in the middle of crack-whoredom) was so open-concept that the shower was pretty much in the middle of the living space. It was a huge walk in thing that would comfortably shower you and four of your closest friends at the same time (and I'm not going to argue against that - ) but there is no door, no curtain, and when you exit the shower, you can wave at the guests sitting on your couch. As much as I hated refinishing my bathroom door, I couldn't live without it. They had added a story on to the top of the building as well and had a condo in progress on the tour - it was much larger and more livable and layout - and all windows and very sexy - but the problem for me was that it WAS all windows - where do you hang your art? Where do you put your bookcase? Maybe I'm just too practical. One nice thing was seeing some of the older homes and realizing that the bunkle, though tiny in size, is in a lot of ways a much more livable space that some of it's grander cousins. At least, a lot more livable for me, and that's all that matters in the end.

Other excitement this weekend: taking a class on making okonomiyaki and seeing the very lovely (in a refreshingly non-cloying way) Once

No comments: