Sunday, September 02, 2012

Yay for free

Last night I went to a show with three pals - all for free.  In a weird turn of events, I had (once again) won a Georgia Straight contest, this time for two free tickets to Pokey Lafarge and the South City Three - a quirky Americana/roots/country blues group that we saw briefly in the rain at the Folk Fest last year.  Then my pal A called in to a CBC contest and won two more tickets..so off we went.

Now, as for Pokey Lafarge - this is music that is best served live.  I don't imagine I would listen to Pokey on my own time, but boy with his 1940s face and tone, he's something to see, and he knows how to work a crowd. A great show. FYI the video I've embedded is for a 45 that has just been released on Jack White's Third Man records, so people are paying attention.


But the real surprise of the night was the opener - the Alialujah Choir, from my beloved Portland. There is nothing groundbreaking here, but they make some really lovely music. I think humans are hard-wired to react to harmonies, just like I believe we are hard-wired to react in a very visceral way to dance (particularly contemporary - though I know there will be those who react with a "ya, my visceral reaction is it's RIDICULOUS). Regardless,these guys had the audience rapt, and that is hard for an opener to do. I'd go see them again in a heartbeat. And the video below is worth watching - a few minutes of chat at the beginning, then a couple of tracks. Enjoy - I certainly did!

No comments: