Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Things that start with C



It has been a busy couple of "holiday" days (ha) since I came back from Penticton - the great news is that my kitchen ceiling (aka keeper of the wiring holes) is FINALLY repaired and looking fine, 5 (or is it 6?) years after I had the electricians rewire the place, thanks to the help of a drywall elf who came to repair when I was away (thanks Brad!).  So, I spent the last two days painting the ceiling and walls.  As I get older, I find my tolerance for painting has been ... diminished.   But, it is done, and as you see from the photos attached, I had company.  I include the light photo only to provide an update to the photo here.

Other than that, I've been listening to a lot of music.  I'm gravitating towards singer songwriters right now - hooked on the new Fiona Apple, The idler wheel is wiser than the driver of the screw and whipping chords will server you more than ropes will ever do.  Take a listen here.  It is tempting me to shell out for her concert at the Orpheum in a couple of weeks - I had written it off because the good seats are pricey, but now....hmmm.

Less poetic, but grabbing me maybe because of that (and because it deals with everything from antibiotics to back pain to cats to relationships - with women, his dad, guitar repair guys...) is the new Sun Kil Moon (Mark Kozelek), Among the Leaves.  Listen here.  Quite a lot less dark than earlier Sun Kil Moon, or the Red House Painters he fronted in the 90s, a much folkier vibe, but it is suiting my mood.

And that is all she wrote.  For now.

No comments: