Friday, July 27, 2012

No undies this time

The last time I saw the Dirty Projectors, it was my last show at Richards (unbeknownst to me at the time, or I would have stolen a stool or something).  The last time I saw the Dirty Projectors, my brother and I also saw Dave Longstreth's undies as he changed on the street in front of our car - a bizarre and memorable moment.  Unfortunately, this year there is no street parking on Granville conducive to outdoor lead-singer outfit changes.  And no show venue can live up to Richards, let alone the Venue (the most poorly conceived balcony space anywhere, IMHO).  All that being said, the gig was still a joy.

I love the Dirty Projectors because they force you to listen - I realize that might sound a bit odd, but I mean actively listen.  There is so much going on in terms of crazy time signatures and complex harmonies, it all feels held together by a thread that could snap at any time.  But the thread never does snap, and I'm left marvelling at that fact.  It is so good to hear a band that really DOES sound unique - Longstreth moves to the beat of his own quirky drum, and the musical world is a better place because of it.

I did take three videos - they aren't great because the lighting at the Venue (bleh) wasn't great, but the sound isn't bad - a minor miracle as I was maybe 6' away from a huge bank of flown speakers.  The tracks I recorded are from the new album, Swing Lo Magellan -  perhaps a shade more accessible that some of the other Dirty Projector albums, but still complex and inventive.

My only regret?  That Fiona Apple was playing on the same night - a show that was apparently excellent but not that well attended (Vancouverites, shame on you).  Oh, if only I could be in two places at the same time.


No comments: