Saturday, July 12, 2008

OPA!!

Yes, I'm still alive. I am sitting in the lobby of our fantastic hotel (Hotel Grotta) in Naxos - the only place we've found with internet access. Today is our trip to Santorini - our second to last stop before home.

The trip so far has been amazing. I will write about it when I get back, but here are a few things I now know for sure:

- Greeks are smarter than most people. Not only does the art and architecture back me up, the sheer volume and variety of cheese produced and consumed, the fact that beer comes in 500ml bottles, and the fact that most of them speak at least 2 languages kind of confirms the point. And they have never ending patience with the incredible volume of ...dumber...tourists that pass through their country.

- The blue paint you see on Greek buildings is entirely inspired by the colour of the Aegean Sea. For real. There is water that is actually that colour. Who knew?

- 40C is hot. Really hot.

- Greek kitties are much smaller than british kitties. And they are a lot less picky.

- Nothing ruins snorkelling like a leaky mask.

- Naxian cheese. Say no more.

- I will never, ever wrap my head around the written Greek language.

- Hiring tour guides is a really good thing. You might not get the tour you expect, but whatever you get is bound to be interesting. We saw much more of Athens in a day and a half than we could ever have managed on our own; and learned much more about the plants in Naxos that I would ever really need to know...but I'm glad I do.

- Almonds come in three varieties. The only two I can remember are sweet and bitter.

- Naked tanned people look sort of like wieners (at least in colour). Frightening.

- Tiny plumbs from Naxos are incredibly yummy.

I think that is it for now. I know I will have many more thoughts later on, once the sun and wind is out of my brain.

1 comment:

Creative Ape said...

What an AWESOME sounding time you're having!!! Go girl! xoxo Tam