Saturday, December 27, 2008

Bunklelife Tops lists 2008 #1: Concerts

Yup, amazing but true, it is that time again. I will put out a tops album list soon enough - but I will start with the live stuff.

Looking back it is actually surprisingly hard to choose. But - here it is, my gig of the year:

Beirut at the Commodore. I have listed all the reasons here so I won't do it again. But I will post a video from that night - Sunday Smile followed by Elephant Gun:


I can only hope that Zach Condon will reappear soon in some form or another.

5 Honourable mentions:

Radiohead at Thunderbird. A better (smaller, less rainy) venue may have pushed this into the #1 spot.

Weezer at GM Place. Partly because I was a bit surprised at how much I loved it - so ridiculously entertaining.

Elliott Brood at Richards. I went really to see Dan Mangan, who didn't end up playing, and was completely blown away. Rock on banjo!

Joe Jackson at the Chan. Perfect combo of artist and venue.

Conor Oberst
at Richards.

I could add more. A lot more (Sigur Ros, Hawksley, Blitzen Trapper....). Which would kind of diffuse the whole "tops" idea, so I'll stop...except to announce the

Audience of the year: Daniel Johnston at Richards. His performance style is ... delicate. Hats off to an audience that gave him the quiet, and the enthusiasm, that he deserves.

Will wait to see what 2009 will bring. I worry about Richards closing - that will be a slam on the live music scene that this city really does not need. But in the interim, a few interesting things are already booked, including Antony and the Johnsons and David Byrne....here's hoping for lots more.

No comments: