Tuesday, January 30, 2007

And the Winner is.....

I've been thinking more and more about movie lists since my last post. Couple of realizations: I can't make one "tops" list. That isn't how my brain works...and I don't think it does the films justice - how do you compare A Touch of Evil and This is Spinal Tap? Add on top of it my flea-sized brain and general inability to remember things past yesterday, and it gets impossible. Oh - and my inability to focus and the way my brain gallops along (oh ya, I like Kill Bill...oh, and Reservoir Dogs...and The Piano (Harvey Keitel brain-jump)

So - I'll bring on some LISTS. They are accurate as of 6:48pm, Jan 30/07, but there are no guarantees beyond that.
***********************************************************************

Overall Winner: MAGNOLIA
Anyone who knows me knows this already. An imperfect film perhaps, but the only film I can watch over and over again and have it create a sad little knot inside me every single time. The first time I watched it, I liked it a lot but didn't realize how much I'd grow to love it. And for those that complain that it needs editing, that the 188 minutes is perhaps too long - OH no. No no no. You are so very wrong my friend. It isn't long enough. The fact I like this film so much says way too much about... me. And the fact it has made me think about that is what makes it so special. Soundtrack is great to boot. Stand warned, many people hate this film. These people are not my friends.

A few others that make the top 1o overall:

The Piano
The Station Agent
Six Degrees of Separation
Noticing a theme? Hopefully not.

And some other lists:

Me? Too old? HA.

The Mother
Y tu mama tambien (sorry about the lack of punctuation)
P.S.

Heeeey...didn't I date that guy?

The Squid & The Whale
Election
American Beauty

Watch. Closely.

Drowning by Numbers
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife & her Lover
Children of Men
Pan's Labyrinth

Yes, yes, I wish I spoke Spanish (...and Portuguese):

The Sea Inside
All About My Mother
City of God
Matador (by Almodovar...NOT with Pierce Brosnan)
Amores perros


Crazy? I'll show you crazy ...

Burden of Dreams: Making Fitzcarraldo
Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmakers Apocalypse
Titus

OK, getting tired now. More lists to come. I look forward to hearing what you'd put in those headings.....









3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sigh. Oh, my little BunkleLife. What are we going to do with you? Don't you know that Harvey Keitel is the DEV-AL himself? DEV-AL!! DEV-AL I say!! Oy vey.

Hmmm ... if I tell you what my Magnolia is, you'll laugh and call me predictable, unintelligent, or pedestrian. Or worse: a sell-out.

Anonymous said...

you are so funny.
love LOVE magnolia too. though doubt i have seen it as often as you...
we are on a will ferrel binge right now. for some reason d keeps buying me his "work" for differnt occasions - snl box set thanksgiving (?), anchorman for my bday, talladega nights for hanukkah... hmmm..."San DIEGO" oh never mind... xo

BunkleLife said...

J2 - Agreed, he may be the DEV-AL, but there was something sexy about him with those face tattoos in The Piano, no? Seem to recall my pal Tam describing him as a "beast" in that film. She meant that in a good way. And cough up the film lady. I will refrain from using "sell-out". Promise. At least not to your face ;-)

Tracy - Hmmm, do I see Elf arriving for Valentine's Day? Too funny.