Monday, November 12, 2012

Lots to see, not much to say

I've been a culture glutton for the last week.  Really I should have so much to say - and if you were to talk to me in person, I do have so much to say...but I'm being a lazy blogger.  So - the highlights:

1.  Skyfall, the new James Bond.  Suprisingly great for an action film.  Daniel Craig and Judy Dench are fantastic.  Did I mention Daniel Craig?  Javier Bardem also brings a delightfully over the top villain to the screen.  Oh, and there's Daniel Craig...

2. Kidd Pivot's "The Tempest Replica" with my dance partner in crime A.  A beautiful piece, for sure - excellent creative staging of a well known classic.  That being said, I didn't find myself as connected to it as I have other dance works I've seen.  Trying to figure that one out - I think maybe I was too concerned about narrative to appreciate the choreography as much as I could have.  I think this is my problem more than the work's.  I'm a dance virgin, I still obsess about understanding that language, maybe the well known narrative component was too much for my rapidly aging brain to handle on top of that.


3. Robert Lepage's "The Far Side of the Moon" - twice in four days, with my Lepagian-frere, on his birthday no less.  Yes, we are both obsessed.  This is something I definitely did connect with - I've seen it three times now, and I'd see it again any time.  I've spoken about Lepage before and I really don't know what else there is to say - except that I wish I had one quarter of his creativity, and I will see ANYTHING he puts together.   And for those of you who don't have the ability to see the theatrical version of the story, it is well worth renting the DVD of the film version - very very different than the theatrical work, but no less worthwhile.

This week brings more cultural fun - and hopefully more energy to write about it...

No comments: