Monday, May 07, 2012

That's the last of that bag of flour...

I have lots to write about the DOXA films I've seen, but I don't have a lot of energy to do it...so we will see how far I get. So far, I haven't seen a dud in the bunch. A few to keep an eye out for... Scarlet Road - a truly lovely documentary about an Australian sex worker/advocate/Masters student who has a client base that includes a number of men with disabilities. A wonderful reminder of the importance of human touch and companionship, and a mind-shifter in terms of what comes to mind when you hear "sex worker." She makes my job feel completely meaningless. Big Boys Gone Bananas* - Ooooh so important to see, for so many reasons - the horrors of corporate manipulation so beautifully laid out. Excellent, excellent film. I will never look at a banana, or journalism, in quite the same way. Hard Light - the trailer doesn't do it justice; a beautiful film interspersing dramatizations of stories from Newfoundlander Michael Crummey's Hard Light with interviews with Crummey. I have to admit I haven't read any of his works yet (not for want of trying, oh reading group - ahem!), but after seeing this I am itching to. I almost wasn't going to mention this one yet, as it resonated with me in ways I wasn't expecting...I need to digest more. And maybe talk more. Not sure. But if you have a chance, see it. And you know eventually the NFB will post it alongside all the other wonderful films on their website... More to come, at least that's the plan...

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Someday I'm going to head up there for DOXA... xo In the meantime I'll watch out for these.