Friday, April 06, 2007

Bunkle Easter...



...well, Good Friday at least. And the weather is great. Which has inspired me to start back to the Bunkle renos again. Last year I removed one of the three (count 'em) doors to my bathroom. It's a tiny door - maybe 22 inches wide. When I moved in, the door was covered in layer upon layer of paint which was cracking and cleaving and a few embedded stickers (yes, stickers) for good measure. It took 2 days to strip the paint with chemical stripper (day one with Mum's help). It was sort of interesting to go back in time through yellow, blue, grey, white layers. I thought - briefly - of not painting the door, and leaving the oak exposed. But then I thought through the implications (all 3 doors would need stripping...and what about the door trim, which certainly isn't oak!) and gave my head a shake. Anyway, today it made it's way back outside for some sanding and priming. The cats are going to be very sad to have it back - they really love bursting through the current ripped paper bathroom door -it makes a lot of noise, and Thomas usually stops and snorts
afterwards like he has accomplished some amazing physical feat - but really it isn't providing quite enough privacy when I have guests over ...



And here is another addition - a cushion so perfect it almost hurts to look at it. It's made by the very very talented Beth - who reads this blog sometimes, so thank you again Beth!! And thank you for taking me to see the elephant repairs and back to a world I still miss. Though maybe I should just think of the bunkle as one long conservation project (albeit without elephants - yet)...

1 comment:

Tracy said...

happy easter my friend. door and pillow look fantastic! (i have your book ready to go - just need to get to the post. argh. sorry.) xo