Saturday, March 03, 2007

Bunkle Weekend....



It's Saturday at the Bunkle and we are all moving slowly. I am a morning person by nature - I love getting up when it's still quiet outside, and time seems to move slowly (is it just me or do clocks speed up as the day goes on?). This morning though I slept in - I got up at 6:30 at the insistence of the cats (a good 45 minutes past their regular breakfast time - and when I say insistance, I mean Thomas chasing Maggie through the house, up on the bed, through the house, up on the bed...and when I say up on the bed, I mean 15 lb cats leaping onto - and off of - my bladder which is fairly hard to ignore), then went back to bed and dozed until just before 9. If I say "cats?" out loud from the bed there is the sound of scurrying and I am suddenly surrounded by two large purring beasts - one of the few times that they allow each-other to be on the bed at the same time (usually there is a territory battle). I get up, have a shower and sit on the couch with my coffee and toast, and once again am surrounded (you'll see the dent between them on the couch - that's my spot). There is nothing that exemplifies complete coziness like a sleeping cat.

Bunkle renos continue, thanks in part to my brother - I took the day off yesterday so he could help me retrieve a pile of baseboard and door moldings - somehow my Corolla doesn't move 13 foot lengths of wood as well as his Jeep does. Hope to get them all painted this weekend, and then will have to figure out when the cutting happens. It shouldn't be as tricky as the bedroom as there are less corners (no cupboard), but there are also some outlets that happen below the level of the top of the baseboard that will require some shnizzeling (the official word for tricky little things you have to do to make things work). It will be great to have the den done & ready to decorate - oh, wait, still have to finish refinishing one door...ok, well, ALMOST done. Also toying with (gasp) hiring someone to paint the livingroom/diningroom for me - can't stomach the idea of doing it myself and it is really what is holding me up when it comes to decorating - most importantly hanging my art. Will depend on how much it would cost. I can't wait - oh, ok, yes, I can wait but I don't want to ...

And before I forget, yay to pals & 'old house collective' members Graham and Kathleen! Their incredible "old queen" and all their hard work has received some much deserved recognition. It's an incredible house, and their determination and perseverance is amazing. I should also mention that without Graham's calm and reassurance I probably wouldn't have bought my beloved Bunkle - and much of the work done on the place has involved him, and I will forever be indebted to him for wresting me from the clutches of a truly evil floor sander. Congratulations!

No comments: